Pregnancy can be tiring. I know. No matter which trimester, you can get exhausted real easy. It is a stressful time for your mind and body.
And then we have – the hunger pang!
It might be sugar cravings, an urge to get a quick coffee or just indulge in processed food that can feel comforting. While giving in to these addictions sometimes can be ok, its best to avoid it completely if possible.
To help you with this, I have listed a few alternatives that you can keep handy and stocked at home. Some of these healthy snack ideas are great to have in your handbag when you are on the go.
1. Oatmeal with your favorite dried or fresh fruit topping.
3. Bag of roasted nuts – Almonds and walnuts are a good source of protien.
4. Dried figs, dates, apricots – These are a good source of iron, which is needed in adequate amounts for the baby.
5. String cheese
6. Apple and peanut butter – I like slicing apple rings and spread a little peanut butter and top it with raisins and chopped walnuts. They taste great!
7. Popcorn – I just cook it on the stove top with a little butter and they are a perfect treat for my 3 pm cravings.
8. Homemade granola bats
9. Plain yoghurt – The flavoured ones from the supermarket have way too much sugar. I like to dates syrup or pureed berries to add some natural sweetness.
12. Dark chocolate – A little dark chocolate is good for those chocolate cravings.
10. Carrot sticks and a hummus dip
11. Baked tortilla chips and a fresh cool salsa topping.
12. Cucumber and chickpea salad
13. Wholemeal wrap with your favourite filling.
14. Wholegrain tomato and cucumber sandwich.
15. Fresh veg salad – make sure your veg is washed clean to avoid any infection.
16. Fruit salad
18. Baked chips- Apple, beetroot, sweet potato or kale.
19. Healthy veggie muffin
20. Cheese and crakers
21. Rice cakes topped with peanut butter and banana